Welcome SMC members

Home Forums Forum Introductions Welcome SMC members

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    wldeaton

Feel free to discuss and to make topic and category suggestions!

Brian Dellinger
    Keymaster

If any SMC members have some suggestions for the site, let us know!

Kevin L. Padfield
    Participant

Hi Brian: Kevin (Rocketman) Padfield here. Just want to let everyone know that I am going to reveal to all of you what I have done recently to help safeguard my investments from the long arm of the U. S. government. What I have done is not for everyone but it’s at least something to consider if you want to try to keep your assets.
    It rather long and complex so I want to cover the topic as fully as I can. There are some pitfalls that you will need to keep an eye on to make sure that everyone understands it after they have fully read it. Just how soon my piece will be done is kind of up in the air. As some of you know my time is not my own as I have additional responsibilities that are more important. Till then keep the faith!

Oran
    Participant

Hi Kevin:
    I’m looking forward to your report.

As an author who frequently experiences writers block, I’d like to make a suggestion that I hope will help. Since it is “rather long and complex” it might be easier for you to break it into 2 or 3 sections. That would be less pressure on you to get it all just right in 1 fell swoop, and it would allow us readers to respond with questions, which might impact the following sections.

I would love to see where your research has taken you.

If I can be of any assistance (such as editing or proofreading), I’d be happy to be of service.

Best wishes,
    Oran

ML
    Participant

Brian,

I appreciate you all providing this resource for SM members with the impending shutdown of the forum.

Brian Dellinger
    Keymaster

ML, happy to help. As you’ll see by searching around a bit, we started this labor of love a number of years ago, and then forgot it for a long time, obviously not bothering to terminate the web hosting renewal charges! However, hopefully this can be something fun to use at no cost if we can get some participation going. Please, feel free to post about your interests.

Heather Johnson
    Participant

Hi Brian,

I appreciate you opening up this forum as an alternative option to the SMC Forum. While I was not an active participant on that site, I will do my best to add my experiences to this thread.

It’s too bad that SMC is closing, or likely closing, the forum for its members. But maybe this option will alleviate some of the negative comments and focus solely on the ‘how-tos’, as well as observations of the daily machinations.

HJ

Brian Dellinger
    Keymaster

HJ:

For better or worse, I think Sovereign Man has made the decision to focus more efforts on its higher-end clientele. That is, focus on folks coming to the SMC events, and focus even more on the Total Access members. Perhaps Simon is putting into place the 80/20 principle, and believes that the top 20 percent of the SMC members are resulting in 80 percent of the company’s profits. From meeting fellow members like you at Cancun, and TA members in Medellin, I can tell you that those groups are the most motivated, high-functioning, and high-producing members. So if I could earn more money from 300-500 of the Total Access members than I could with 10,000 with the regular members doing the day to day events, I can sympathize with that. I wouldn’t have thought the costs of maintaining a forum were high, though I do note that when Porter Stansberry bought out a lot of Doug Casey’s assets, he immediately nixed the International Man forum. The IM forum was very informative, entertaining and, best of all, FREE.

Heather Johnson
    Participant

That makes sense, but it also brings to mind another question.

How to find valuable sources of information. I was a Casey member for years, but dropped it when it transitioned to Stansberry Research. I know many people find the information valuable – and profitable, but I can’t stand ‘the world is coming to an end’ sales pitches (and yes, I am intensely aware that we are undergoing unprecedented change). I am also a SMC and Total Access member.

Can anyone else contribute their own experiences (good or bad) on Stansberry Research’s service? And also recommend other sources that you have found valuable?

Brian Dellinger
    Keymaster

HJ, I’d like to first answer your question. I got out of Casey mostly when it was taken over by Stansberry. I’ve just subscribed to Crisis Investing with Casey, which appears to be a resumption of the old “Crisis INvestor” newsletter. Very entertaining and informative. They choose unusual investing locales such as Zimbabwe. What’s very cool though is that not only do they find you investments allowing you to take advantage of the crisis opportunities, but they often point you to NYSE listed companies that will allow you to take advantage of the opportunities. I have an investing account that allows me to hit a number of different stock exchanges, but it’s still not as easy as you think. First you have to fund that currency by buying units of the currency in your default currency. If you’re not careful, your currency may be spread out in Yen, HK Dollars, etc. Anyhow, I just started it but I’ve enjoyed it so far; we’ll see if the investments pan out.

I began looking for a social networking site that might be geared toward people with a similar mindset. The closest thing I found was liberty.me, which is a libertarian-oriented social networking site. It is now free, though it used to charge an annual fee. People exchange ideas, write blogs, and have forum discussions. There is a discussion section for travel and five-flags-type ideals, but it is not regularly frequented (perhaps one post a month). I got a couple of good tips about an upcoming trip to Chile, but that was about it. It has a lot of potential, but mostly it seems to be about people wanting to discuss theory.

Q Wealth Reports is another interesting site. It has reports that come on an unannounced and irregular basis. However, some of the things they post is interesting, such as an anonymous rechargeable bank card. There’s an annual fee, maybe about $100. No real forum to speak of, but the content is decently interesting, though sporadic.

Going back to the SMC forum, I just got a notification of the new SMC site. It must not be without its bumps, because currently not only are my user name, email and password not recognized, but there’s no way to get a new password sent because it acts like I’m not there. In the past, SMC tended to roll out a new site before it was ready for primetime, so I expect that’s the case. There’s also an implication in the email that there may be a forum just for Total Access members. That seems to confirm my sense that Simon was going to target his products to a narrower, more lucrative subset of original members. That said, everyone I’ve met at the last two events (one SMC, the other “TA”) has been extremely interesting, and I’d love to frequent a forum in which those types of members actively participate.

Heather Johnson
    Participant

Hi Brian,

Thanks. I will take a look at these sites. BTW, I logged onto the new SMC site this morning without any problems; I used my old ID and password.

Thanks,
    HJ

Johann
    Participant

Howdy folks,
    Just to say I have joined with same name as on the SMC forum.
    Was not a frequent visitor to the SMC forums.

Johann

Brian Dellinger
    Keymaster

Welcome Johann!

RH
    Participant

Hello soon-to-be former SMC forum members. I frequented the SMC forum less and less over the years and am looking forward to this forum. A few other former SMC members have been communicating via email. Brian, if you would like I can inform them of this site and they can decide if they want to sign up. Let me know if it’s okay and I’ll let them know. The number of people is small, maybe 5 or 6.

Brian Dellinger
    Keymaster

Welcome RH and please invite our friends from SMC!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.